History of Del Ray Neighborhoods
This will be a living document, expanding as time becomes available
Mt Vernon Avenue during the rebuilding of 1915. The John Harding house (now Anne Welsh Salon) is on the left. This is a contemporary colorized lantern slide, so the colors are period-appropriate but arbitrary.
The Del Ray area was originally given over to farming, most of it held by the two Lloyd brothers and Frank Hume. Pre-development: the 1870s and 1880s.
A growing population and open land created an almost irrestible impetus for development at the fringes of cities. The first such developments in Alexandria took place in 1890-1892 and suffered greatly from the lack of mass transit. The first developments.