They moved down to the the Mt. Vernon area in the late 1920s, but unfortunately Archibald died in March 1929. Ethel remained in that area until she, too, passed away in 1956.
The Inter-War Years
Betty had sold the first Nalls house at 4033 to the 64-year-old widow Mary E. McDonald in 1917, who moved in with her son Thomas (a repairman for the railroad) and his wife Bessie and their and their two sons Clarence and Jean. Son Edward, a brakeman, also lived there for the first two years.
Mary, in turn, sold the house to Eppa Kane in 1923. Eppa was an aggressive 28-year-old salesman for FC Goodnow Co, a real estate sales and development firm based in DC that did extensive work in Alexandria and Arlington. He was clearly thinking of branching out on his own, for he lived in Aurora Hills in Arlington, and rented Betty's former house out. Indeed, by 1928 he was vice president of the new Washington & Kane Realty Investment Co.
His first tennant was George Deihr, a repairman for the railroad, being replaced in 1927 by James Durrett, a 36-year-old insurance agent, his wife Mary and four sons and two daughters.
In 1935, perhaps feeling the effects of the great depression, Kane sold the house to Henry Dixon, an auto mechanic, along with his wife Pauline. Another large family, they brought three daughters and three sons into the house with them. Unfortunately, Pauline died at Alexandria Hospital at age 36 during the premature birth of a seventh child in November 1939. The remaining Dixons stayed there into 1941.
In the meantime, Archibald's house at 416 sat largely vacant through the early 1930s, save for a brief occupancy by Clarence and Annie Barlett in 1927-28. Finally, Alf Boyce, a steamfitter, and his wife May, moved in in 1935, but in 1937 it was bought by Donato Innamorato, an Italian-born mason, with Pennsylvanian wife Antoinette, a son and a daughter. It was almost certainly Innamorato who added the brick walls to the west side of the house by 1941. They continued to live there through the end of the war.