204 E Nelson (ex 211 E Linden)
Like most of the other JE Martin bungalows, this served as a rental property through most of the 1930s. It sat vacant intitially, but 1932 saw George and Fern Rhodes in residence, followed by Harold and Eloda Slusser in 1934, and George and Lydia West in 1936.
Somewhat longer lasting were Charles and Avenell Cartwright, who moved in around 1937. Charles was 32 and apparently made a fair enough living as self-employed repairer of automobile radiators, while 28-year-old Avenell stayed at home and 8-year old daughter Hazel attended school. They stayed there until the house was sold, moving to North Fairfax Street, at which point a maturing Hazel apparently made it possible for Avenell to take a job with A&P supermarkets.
The house was, indeed, finally sold by Herring & Wallace in October 1941 to Claude and Frances Henderson. Claude had been born in June of 1920 and Frances in June of 1916, both in Virginia. In October 1938 Frances gave birth to daughter Claudette and exactly a year later Claude and Frances married. The choice of first name strongly suggests that Claudette was, indeed, Claude's daughter but that cannot be stated with certainty. In any event, Claude was listed as her father for all purposes later on.
Claude worked as a service station attendant in the late 1930s, indeed he reported putting in 60 hours for the week of March 24-30, 1940. For that sort of effort he made $900 for 1939, as against an average US income of $1,360. By 1941, when he had to register for the draft, he had got a job with The Great American Tea Co, which did door-to-door and mail order business for the A&P supermarket chain. Having a wife and child kept the draft board at bay, even during mid-World War II, and he did not volunteer. The manpower crunch of 1944 finally hit, however, and he was called up in December 1944. For unknown reasons he was discharged seven months later, with Germany surrendered but Japan still unbeaten.
On discharge he trained as a plumber and was working at that when they sold the house. In October 1947 William and Louise Ward purchased the house, taking out a mortgage for $5,000. Wiliam worked as a salesman and clerk for the Henry P Gilpin Co, a wholesale druggists supply firm, until the mid-1950s when he took a job at the Mt Vernon Service Pharmacy owned by Charles Gertstein, at 1515 Mt Vernon Ave (one of the storefronts taken over by CVS).
The Wards lived there until January 1959, when they sold the house to Margaret Russ.